Mississauga is known as a hub of culture and diversity, so what better way to celebrate its multiculturalism than a festival that brings together many of the vibrant cultures that make Mississauga such a wonderful place to live and visit.
The Carassauga Festival of Cultures is exactly that – a celebration and chance to explore 23 of the unique countries of origin that make up the multicultural fabric of Mississauga. Started in 1986 with just 10 pavilions, the non-profit festival has grown to become one of the city’s biggest annual events and most beloved traditions.
Can’t Miss Carassauga Highlights:
- The Opening Ceremony: The festival officially kicks off with an opening ceremony on Friday, May 27th from 8-11 pm. Located at the Paramount Fine Foods Centre, the ceremony will feature a parade of nations, cultural performances and fireworks.
- 23 Cultural Pavilions: Each pavilion will help visitors explore its traditions through special exhibits and live entertainment. Some of the demonstrations include traditional music and dancing, storytelling, athletics and cooking, as well as artisan displays. Some pavilions will also include markets so you can take home a souvenir.
- Live Performances: In addition tothe 23 cultures featured throughout the pavilions, the festival will also have 21 stages featuring non-stop live entertainment. Some of the performances will include traditional music, dancing and athletics.
- Cuisines from Around the World: Since Carassauga is Canada’s largest multicultural food and music festival, you know the food is going to be incredible.From Portugese seafood to Colombian coffee directly from the farm, to Lebanese grape leaves, you can enjoy classic culinary offerings of each culture with the Toonie Taste offers. A variety of food trucks will also be available, as well as licensed bar and patio areas.
- Kids Zone: Young visitors can visit this special area featuring a variety of activities, games and crafts for free. Midway rides (an extra cost) will also be on-site for added fun.
- Tour de Carassauga: For cycling enthusiasts, what better way to ‘see the world’ than by hopping on your bike andtouring the exhibits with a group of other biking fans. Make sure to register in advance if you want to participate.
Tips for Visiting Carassauga
- Carassauga runs from Saturday, May 28th at 12 pm to Sunday, May 29th at 7 pm.
- Pavilions are spread across five Mississauga locations, so to make sure you can easily visit them all, MiWay transportation is FREE during the festival with the purchase of your passport (aka your ticket.)
- Passports are $15, and children 12 and under are free when accompanied by a regular/adult passport holder. They can be purchased online or in person at these locations.
After the festival, keep the fun going by exploring more Mississauga attractions. Get your free Local Gems pass to turn your city-wide adventure into prizes, while getting access to special deals. Make it a staycation by booking an overnight stay. Not only will you be able to claim 20% of your accommodation expense through the Ontario Staycation tax credit, you can also receive a $100 VISA prepaid gift card from Tourism Mississauga and a $20 Square One gift card, courtesy of Square One Shopping Centre when you book two or more nights at participating Mississauga hotels.
Follow Visit Mississauga on Facebook and Instagram to find out about more amazing local events, eats and attractions.