National Indigenous Peoples Day Celebration 2023
June 21 – 12:00 pm – 9:30 pm
Celebrate National Indigenous Peoples Day at Celebration Square on Wednesday, June 21, 2023 from noon to 9:30 pm.
Start the day at the Miichi Sagiig Anishinaabe United Pow Wow, hosted in collaboration with the Mississauga Nation. From noon to 4:00 pm, everyone is welcome to join and enjoy traditional Indigenous songs and dance!
In the evening, explore Indigenous art, music and entertainment at the Celebration & Concert, presented in collaboration with Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation. Watch some of the biggest artists from across Turtle Island take the stage, including folk-pop powerhouse DeeDee Austin, hip hop sensation MR. SAUGA, and the Godfather of Pow Wow Step, DJ Shub!
- Noon to 4:00 pm: Miichi Sagiig Anishinaabe United Pow Wow
- 4:00 pm: Short Films on the Screens: Generational Legacies presented by ImagineNATIVE
- 6:00 pm: Lisa Odjig, World Champion Hoop Dancer
- 6:15 pm: Classic Roots, electronica and Pow Wow techno DJ
- 6:40 pm: Official Ceremony, featuring Manitou Mkwa Singers
- 7:15 pm: DeeDee Austin, award-winning pop singer/songwriter
- 8:00 pm: MR. SAUGA, hip hop artist/producer
- 8:30 pm: DJ Shub presents War Club Live, 2022 JUNO Award Winner for Contemporary Indigenous Artist of the Year
National Indigenous Peoples Day at Celebration Square has exciting activities for the entire family!
- Paint with the Moccasin Identifier Project and learn more about Indigenous heritage and historical moccasin designs, available 6:00 pm to 9:30 pm
- Stop by the crayon colouring corner and learn more about Indigenous languages spoken across Turtle island, featuring fun artwork created by Indigenous artists, available 6:00 pm to 9:30 pm
- Make a splash in the fountain, open 10:00 am to 9:00 pm
- Grab a bite from one of the food trucks, open noon to 10:00 pm
To learn more about Pow Wows and how to participate respectfully, download the Pow Wow Etiquette Guidelines (pdf).