Once the first snowflakes start to fall, there’s a feeling of magic in the air that makes every event feel that much more special. Make the most of the season with some of Mississauga’s most festive activities.
Make Your Holidays Merry and Bright
Throughout the season, Celebration Square will be lit up for the Festival of Lights, four dazzling, insta-worthy art installations. Prismatica turns the Square into a giant, spectacular ice palace. Carriers, a light sculpture, translates the joys and hardships of the past two years into pulses of light sent out into the world by a flock of birds. At night, Beacon Silo comes alive with projected light that cascades throughout the space. Candycombs is an interactive dancefloor, where users trigger lights and sounds by stepping onto the dancefloor, providing a space for participants to come together through dance.
- Extra Magical Highlight: In addition to the interactive art displays, there is also a dazzling 40’ lighted Christmas tree – the perfect backdrop for some holiday photos.
Listen to the Sounds of the Season
Music is the heart of the holidays, so dress up in your finest and spend an evening with some of Mississauga’s most talented at the Living Arts Centre. First up is a Christmas classic – The Nutcracker, featuring the State Ballet Theatre of Ukraine. This event takes place on December 5th and is sure to book up fast. For even more seasonal entertainment, the Mississauga Symphony Orchestra presents A Baroque Christmas on December 18 while the Mississauga Symphony Youth Orchestra performs A Merry Little Christmas on December 19.
- Extra Magical Highlight: Enjoy the atmosphere during intermission while perusing the gallery’s art exhibits.
Trees, Treats and Treasures
If you’re looking for a classic holiday experience with an artistic twist, make sure to visit Mississauga’s Festival of Trees from December 9 – 19 at the Small Arms Inspection Building. The event will feature incredible tree and wood-pile art installations created by contemporary artists, as well as some beautiful seasonal light displays.
- Extra Magical Highlight: From December 10-12 the festival will host an Artisan Market featuring handcrafted, locally made gifts. On December 17-18 it will feature a Culinary Market, so you can find the perfect gift for the foodie on your list.
Walk in a Winter Wonderland
The already beautiful Port Credit Memorial Park gets a magical makeover for Lights & Ice Winterfest from December 3 – 12. This free event will be full of spectacular, ultra-Instagrammable ice sculptures. Fans of a ~certain~ popular ice queen will be especially enthralled. In addition to stunning icy art, the park will also be decked out in lights throughout the festival.
- Extra Magical Highlight: After your visit, be sure to stroll over to enjoy the view of the Port Credit lighthouse! The Port Credit lighthouse and Main Street will also be lit up and decorated to the nines. Bonus: Port Credit has free parking during the holidays, so you can take your time to enjoy all of the beautiful decorations throughout the Port. You just might bump into Santa while you’re there!
Strap on Your Skates and Celebrate
You can’t miss the most iconic winter activity – outdoor ice skating! The ever-popular Celebration Square rink is open and is free for public use. Until the weather gets colder, the rink will be used for roller skating, so there’s lots of fun to be had even before the freezing weather hits. It’s open from 10am until late, making it perfect for family fun or a date night. If you don’t have your own pair of skates, don’t worry – rentals are available for a nominal fee.
Extra Magical Highlight: After your skate, relax on the rink-side Winter Porch heated patio with some delicious eats from local food trucks.
Dash Through the Snow
What’s more magical than trekking through trails with sparkling, snow-covered trees, or zooming down a snowy hill? You don’t need to leave the city to spend the day sledding, or exploring on skis. Once the snow sticks, dust off your skis, bust out your toboggan and spend a day outside in one of Mississauga’s parks or trails for some winter fun. Mississauga has six tobogganing hills, and five trails for cross-country skiing so enjoy the scenic landscape – or watch it zoom by as you fly through the powder.
- Extra Magical Highlight: Erindale Park, Mississauga’s largest park, connects to trails with views of the Credit River, which makes for a spectacular winter walk to help you wind down after sledding.
Stroll The Historic Streetscapes
Mississauga’s historic communities make for a wonderful walk any time of year, but they’re an especially beautiful sight during the holiday season, when lights twinkle off of buildings, and wreathes are decked out on doorways and streetlights. Streetsville, Clarkson Village, Cooksville, Malton and Port Credit are popular spots to enjoy a quaint walk with just the right amount of hustle and bustle. They’re all perfect spots to enjoy heritage buildings decked out in twinkling lights, garlands and decorations. To dial up the holiday fun, visit Streetsville for its Christmas in the Village event, featuring a market, live entertainment and a visit from Santa himself. Clarkson Village will also be hosting its own Christmas in the Village event, complete with hot chocolate and a petting zoo. In Malton, don’t miss the lights in Paul Coffey Park, complete with giant snowflakes, or the picture-perfect snowflake and candy cane décor in Westwood Square Mall. Bonus: if you have shopping to do, you can stop into some of the charming local shops while you stroll to find some truly special gifts.
- Extra Magical Highlight: For a truly beautiful sight, Visit Port Credit on December 4 as WinterIN the Port is kicked off with their most magical annual event – the lighting of the lighthouse!
Shop in Holiday Style
Who runs the world? When you support female identifying small businesses, you do! Visit Square One’s Holiday Market between November 26 – December 24 to shop 35 local women-owned businesses and enjoy complimentary gift wrapping to boot!
- Extra Magical Highlight: More than just shopping, the Holiday Market is a full holiday experience, complete with complimentary gift wrapping services and beautifully designed photo ops so you can take the perfect festive photo!
Make it a Getaway
With so much holiday fun happening in Mississauga, you won’t be able to fit it all into one day. In Mississauga, It Pays to Stay, so turn an afternoon out into an overnight escape! Book a two (or more) night stay in any participating Mississauga hotels and you’ll get a $100 VISA gift card to spend here. What’s more magical than that?
There’s lots more winter fun coming, so stay tuned to Visit Mississauga on Facebook and Instagram for all the latest.