Visitor Information

Essential information for those visiting from out of town

Money: The currency is the Canadian dollar. For denominations under five dollars, Canadians use coins, including the ‘Loonie’ (one-dollar coin) and the ‘Toonie’ (two-dollar coin). Daily currency exchange rates appear in newspapers, online and are posted at banks throughout the city.

Taxes: A harmonized tax (HST) of 13 per cent is levied on all goods and services.

Telephones: Mississauga is covered by the 905 and 289 area codes. Some areas east and north of Toronto are also covered by this area code. Toronto is covered by the 416 and 647 area codes. Long-distance charges do not apply to calls made within Mississauga or to Toronto, but charges may apply to calls made to the rest of the GTA.

Tobacco and Alcohol: You must be 19 years of age to purchase cigarettes. There is a no-smoking by-law banning smoking in all bars, billiard and bingo halls, casinos and racetracks that also applies to workplaces, restaurants, theatres and bowling centres. Mississauga is a smoke-free community. The Peel Outdoor Smoking by-law protects athletes and spectators by making it against the law to smoke within nine meters (30 feet) of sports/activity areas, playgrounds, entrances/exits of municipal buildings, such as hockey arenas and community centres.

The legal drinking age in Ontario is 19; in some cases, proof of age may be required. A driver’s license is considered a valid form of identification. The sale of alcohol, including spirits and wine, is controlled by the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO ) stores, and wine is also sold in some specialty shops. Domestic and imported beers can be purchased at the Beer Store.

Weather: The climate in Mississauga is moderate. The average temperature ranges from -6°C (21°F) in January to 20°C (69°F) in July and 3°C (37°F) in November. Snowfall in Mississauga is considered low in comparison to the rest of Ontario and Canada. For current weather conditions visit and search for ‘Mississauga.’

Passport Requirements

Travel Document Requirements for Entry into Canada: Canada has one of the most advanced customs processes in the world to provide visitors with security and ease of travel. Visitors must have valid travel documents to enter Canada to provide proof of their citizenship. Depending on which country you are travelling from, document requirements may vary.

U.S. Residents: Residents of the United States travelling to Canada are governed by the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), a U.S. law that requires all travelers traveling outside of the U.S. to present a passport or other valid travel documents to enter or re-enter the U.S. Detailed information and a listing of WHTI-compliant documents is available at

International Visitors: For specific information on travel documents required to visit Canada from countries other than the U.S., please refer to and

More Information

City of Mississauga Customer Service: 3-1-1
Outside City Limits: 905-615-4311
TTY for people who are deaf: 905-896-5151 (calls from a TTY device)
Monday to Friday from 7:00 a.m.– 7:00 p.m. EST